Saturday, September 02, 2006

Farmers Market

I picked up CB this morning and we went to the Farmers Market to shop for our Sunday grilled kebob dinner. There were lots of samples out from all the vegan and raw vendors. CB got hungry and bought himself a huge roll stuffed with a tofu dog, mustard, and sauerkraut. He was supposed to save me a bite but he forgot. I guess it was pretty tasty. We bought purple onions, and red, green, yellow, and orange bell peppers. I also got some broccoli sprouts, which I love. I recently read that one ounce of sprouts have 5o times the nutrients of 2 stalks of fresh broccoli! Then we went to Whole Foods and bought tofu and mushrooms for the kebobs, and strawberries for our dessert, and various other staples.

I was thinking about the old recipe for Banana Split cake and I think I'll try out this variation tonight to serve tomorrow for dessert. CB is tired of bananas, and I need gluten free, and everyone wants low cal.

First make a crust:
2 c. GF granola
1/2 c. applesauce
Press into a pie plate and nuke for 4 or 5 minutes to set.

Slice strawberries and layer on top of the crust.

Then mix up silken tofu, a small can of crushed pineapple, 2 t. vanilla, and stevia or brown sugar if it needs sweetening. Pour that over the strawberries and chill.

The kebobs will marinate in lite coconut milk and Mae Plo green curry paste, so we're going Indian. The broccoli salad I made last night was so good I'm going to make a variation of it for Sunday night. I'm going to use fatfree garlic dressing instead of Italian, spice it with coriander, cumin, and cilantro, and also throw in some broccoli slaw. I guess I'll need brown rice with the kebobs.

CB will bring the camera tomorrow so I'll finally get to post pictures of all this good food.

No comments: