Saturday, September 16, 2006

Roasted Pepper Salad with Harissa

I went to the farmers market early this morning and picked up some great looking produce. I bought sweet peppers, onions, squash, apples, and greens. I decided to look for a recipe to utilize the peppers, and found this interesting salad recipe at http://epicurious.com. I changed it a little by using multicolor peppers. lime juice instead of lemon juice, and only one tablespoon of olive oil. I also couldn't bear to blacken my beautiful peppers, so I roasted them in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Roasted Pepper Salad with Harissa

2 pounds peppers
1/4 c. raisins
juice of 1 lime
1-1/4 t. harissa
1/2 t. kosher or sea salt
1 T. olive oil
1/3 c. toasted chopped walnuts
Roast the peppers in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until soft, but not charred. When cool, peel any blistered skin and discard stems and seeds. Cut into strips and put into a medium size bowl.
While peppers roast, soak raisins in hot water for 15 minutes, then drain. Whisk together the lime juice, harissa, salt, and oil, then toss with peppers. Sprinkle with raisins and walnuts. Refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.
The result is a spicy, sweet fresh tasting salad. I expect it to taste twice as good tomorrow.
Here's the top of the salad with raisins and nuts sprinkled over.


No comments: