Monday, April 23, 2007

The Best Thing I've Ever Eaten?

Well, if not THE best, then certainly one of the best.



Broiled avocado. It’s like avocado buttah. It reminded me of the breaded and fried avocado a local chef makes. I filled mine with homemade salsa, knowing deep down it would be better with plain tomatoes, but there were no tomatoes at my farmers market, so the homemade salsa won out. When it was ready, I plated it and had a bite of just avocado. My spoon glided through the pulp like it was – well, buttah! The flavor was smooth. And after a bite with salsa, I broke down and had to get the store bought roma, chopped it, scooped out the salsa and added the tomato and yes, it was even better. So if you want to try this, here’s how: Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Leave the skin on. Fill the hole with chopped tomato and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes. I had a plain Sunshine burger patty with mine. Oh so good.


Here’s what I did get at the farmers market.



The purple lettuce is leafy and a beautiful color. I was told it is “firecracker” lettuce. It doesn’t have a lot of flavor, just slightly bitter. The swiss chard I used to make Chickpeas and Chard, simply seasoned with cumin, tamari, and pepper.



The strawberries – I sliced them and put them on top of pineapple, and topped it with chopped dates, toasted almonds, and powdered sugar. They were the second best thing I’ve ever eaten and unbelievably red!



I found some beautiful asparagus at Whole Foods, and at Laura’s suggestion, I roasted it with balsamic vinegar. Simply delicious. Laura is going to think I’m stalking her or something, but I also had to try amaranth after she posted about it. I didn’t pop it, but I cooked it up with some quinoa, then added some edamame, carrots, green onion, parsley, and lemon juice. It has a distinct nutty flavor that I would love to use to bake bread.





Thanks, Laura. It was a great dinner!


I used one of the roasted asparagus stalks to try out an old recipe I used to make. You take a slice of fresh bread, flatten it, brush it with oil and season it, then wrap the asparagus and broil it for a few minutes. I had some rather stale spelt bread so it didn’t hold together well. And it wasn’t as good as I remembered, but that’s probably because the roasted asparagus was just so good on its own.



I also roasted some cauliflower.




One more picture – Thai style salad, with broccoli slaw, sprouts, cilantro, green onion, and peanuts.



Have a great week!

20 comments:

Amey said...

Fun Post!
I love the farmer's market picture. I think I'll try the asparagus with balsamic soon. Our Wednesday farmers market has organic asparagus, so I always wait until wednesdays for asparagus.

Isn't it fun how the avocado pit leaves a perfect little bowl for your salsa or chopped tomatoes!?

:) Amey

Unknown said...

Broiled avocado. Deep fried avocado. It's win-win. Love the chick peas and red chard.

bazu said...

Well, just when I thought I couldn't gorge myself on avocado any more than I already do, along comes your tantalizing recipe. Must try!

And no asparagus or farmer's market for me yet, so I'll just vicariously enjoy yours.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Great post! I have been LOVING avocado's lately.

Judy said...

My feelings for avocado change on a daily basis. Some days, I love it, and other days, I find it too heavy and creamy that it turns my stomach.

Your strawberry thing looks great. Are the strawberries organic? I find that organic ones are always much more red than non-organic (as well as tastier).

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love avocados!

the strawberries looks fantastic, i wish we have the fresh here!


i like the asparagus thing , looks so yummy!

erica said...

Whoa, I never ever had a clue that people cook avocados. My mind is officially blown (not in a bad way, of course, just blown).

The thai salad and strawberries look good. The strawberries here have been "meh", not very ripe and no where near as good as my own strawberries warmed up by the sunshine. Oooh I can't wait until I get some strawberries from my bazillion plants. Oh now I'm going to go into a strawberry lust coma....

Zonk!

laura k said...

Mmm... you amaze me with your broiled avocado. You'll be seeing this on my blog before too long! :) All this looks so good - that Thai salad, especially. Does it have a dressing of any sort on it? Ha - I'm glad you liked the asparagus! I'll have to try amaranth the way you did sometime. I've had in in porridge and such before, but that savory bowl of grains & greens looks lovely and delicious!

Emmy said...

Wow, fellow bloggers always have the best avocado ideas. It looks so tasty. What yummy goodies you picked up at the farmer's market. The chard looks perfect. I bet the asparagus was fantastic. Grilled or roasted asparagus is one of my favorite things.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great new way to eat avocado! (I've made avocado butter before, but broiling it is probably healthier and definitely quicker!) I'm envious of all that luscious produce too, lucky you. :)

Ari
(Baking and Books)

Linda said...

yum! i just had cauliflower yesterday. i think it's my favorite vegetable this week.

KleoPatra said...

Your chard is so lovely. Haven't quite figured out how to use it, but i like to see what others do!! Using it with chickpeas like that... nice! Love the photo and the plate it's on.

Your fruit delight with strawbs 'n' pineapples 'n' dates. OH THAT IS DIVINE!

The asparagus is very nice... like little soldiers, just as i saw at Laura's blog as well. Very nice. Quinoa and edamame together with the others... nutty goodness!

Interesting what you did with the asparagus stalk with the bread. That is SO unusual, unique and great! Roasted cauliflower... yum!! That is one of the best ways to eat ANY veggie, i can only imagine how wonderful this must have been. i'll have to try that too sometime, Diann!

Nice lookin' salad at the end, too. Broccoli slaw is yummers!!

Carrie™ said...

Like buttah?! I'm feeling a little verklempt.

All looks good! That Thai style slaw looks interesting. Did you use any dressing on it? I never knew that you could broil avocado - how interesting. Good picks at the famer's market. Strawberries. Mmmm!!

Anonymous said...

everything looks so good, and i am intrigued by that boiled avocado... it makes sense because i do enjoy avocados in tortilla soups... i shall try it as a main dish soon! thank you for that idea!

Douglas said...

BREADED FRIED AVOCADO!!!!!!!!!!

cue up the heavenly music.....

AHHHHHHH!

you are one damn fine cook. one i open up my place will you work with me, please?

Neva said...

Mmmm chard.

I don't think an avocado would survive long enough in my house to get broiled... But I should try it.

It's so nice that the asparagus are in season, but I really want to try to grow my own someday. My Dad used to grow it and it was heaven to eat it within a few minutes of being picked.

scottishvegan said...

I will need to try that avocado. I have never cooked avocado before. The chickpeas and chard is my favourite of all your beautiful post, but it all looks so good and fresh!

MeloMeals said...

that slaw looks so good!.. and I love roasted asparagus and cauliflower.. I am weird, but I do not like avocado if it has been cooked at all.

Anonymous said...

broiled avocado with just a bit of pesto and Penzey Mural of Taste seasoning

Kati said...

Your asparagus in a blanket looks so cute! I bet the stalks were good on their own, though. And I never would have thought to broil avocado - sounds tasty!