Friday, October 24, 2008

Spreadin' the Word


Earlier this week, our local food editor asked me if I would like to be featured on her online edition of “What’s in Your Fridge Friday.” She said she loved my vegan recipes and blog and wanted to highlight it. Of course I agreed. So that was the *fun project* I worked on. She asked about my background and then I was to answer three questions. I had so much I wanted to submit, but you never know what will actually get printed. She posted the picture of my overstuffed fridge from my earlier blog post, and also one that I submitted that looked a little more typical. AND she wants to use one of my recipes for her *Thanksgiving Sides* feature which will actually be printed in the paper. I’m really excited about that!

So here’s what was posted:

Relish Austin

Vegan blogger Diann M______: What’s in Your Fridge Friday?



By Addie Broyles Friday, October 24, 2008, 07:00 AM

Diann M_______, the Austin blogger behind Eat’n Veg’n, says she has always enjoyed cooking and baking and about three years ago became a vegan to improve her eating habits. She was worried that because she’s into weight training that she wouldn’t get enough protein as a vegan. “Like most nonvegans, I believed meat was the only source of protein,” she says. “Beans have now taken the place of meat in my diet. I cook a huge pot of pintos, lentils, black beans or chickpeas every weekend.”

What 3 things are always in your fridge? Assorted fresh veggies, but always fresh broccoli, homemade beans, and almond milk.

What’s your favorite locally made product? That’s a tough one. There are so many wonderful ones to choose from and they are so readily available from Whole Foods. But I’ll have to go with NadaMoo vegan ice cream, plain vanilla flavor. It’s the best vanilla ice cream I’ve ever tasted. A veggie and pesto pizza from East Side Pies is a pretty great treat too.

What your favorite thing to cook for your nonvegan friends? The easiest way to win over nonvegans is with baked goods. My family recently declared my chocolate cake with chocolate peanut butter frosting the best dessert ever. The most impressive meals to prepare for nonvegans are those that are naturally vegan. Nonvegans aren’t easily fooled into believing they are eating meat. With cooler weather here now, I would prepare Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with with cornbread or Homemade Falafels and Lentil Soup. Of course there would be brownies or chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Fun!

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SO AMAZINGLY FUN!!! And such a lovely photo of you, Diann!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being featured!! How very cool. I thought your answers were terrific (and I feel the same way about feeding nonvegans--nobody is fooled by fake meat!) :)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

How cool!! Great answers, I wouldn't change a thing!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that,!? I think it's great. Your answers are just right, and I think you did a great job!

Sheree' said...

Awesome and you look so good! What an honor. :o) Vegans spreading the word. You go girl!

Amy said...

Congratulations! And yum. I want whats in your fridge!

Anonymous said...

How cooooool! You're a celebrity :]

Jen Treehugger said...

How exciting!!!
You do such a fantastic job of spreading the Vegan word, you deserve this credit to you.
:)

Anonymous said...

Diann - that is so awesome! It's a great piece.

Andrea said...

I love your comments. They are warm and inviting. I can't imagine anyone, vegan or not, not relishing an invitation to your home for dinner!

Tami said...

Congratulations! You answered those questions so well. Go veganism!

Amey said...

wow! that's so awesome! Way to spread the friendly, healthy vegan word. I think your fridge contents look mighty tasty!!

jessy said...

hooooooooray! what a fun piece, and so awesome! thanks for spread'n the vegan-word, too! superw00t!

Vegan_Noodle said...

How cool Diann! What a great article for people to read... now maybe they'll consider vegan food as a good source of protein.

A.M. said...

That's wonderful, Diann! Great vegan outreach, especially the part about the protein. ;-)